Drumheller simply would be the coolest place to go to in Alberta. Most individuals make a beeline to the Canadian Rockies in Banff or Jasper, however the Canadian badlands are to not be missed. The city of Drumheller makes for an incredible base to discover a few of Alberta’s quirkiest and most superb points of interest. So let’s discover the dinosaur capital of the world and take a look at all of the cool issues to do in Drumheller.
The Exceptional Panorama of Drumheller
Drumheller is a small city 90 minutes east of Calgary. It might simply be carried out on a day journey from Calgary, however to essentially expertise all the superb issues to see and do close to Drumheller, you want a minimum of 3 days. Now we have created this journey information to encourage you to spend a while in Drumheller and discover extra of Alberta outdoors the Canadian Rockies.
In case you plan to go to Drumheller, you will have a automotive. Now we have this stretch of highway as probably the greatest drive in Canada. You possibly can decide up automobiles instantly on the Calgary Airport. Verify charges for automotive leases in Alberta right here.
Issues to do in Drumheller
An previous coal-mining city that’s residence to the richest dinosaur fossil assortment on the planet, Drumheller gives loads of actions for outside lovers, historical past buffs, and pictures lovers. The encircling Drumheller space is simply as fascinating because the beautiful Canadian Rockies, so let’s get began and take a look at what to do in Drumheller and past!
The Dinosaur Path in Drumheller, Alberta, gives a charming journey by means of the center of Canada’s dinosaur nation, unveiling the distinctive landscapes and prehistoric heritage of the area. Winding by means of the dramatic badlands and rolling hills, this scenic route options an array of notable points of interest, together with the famend Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology, which homes one of many world’s largest shows of dinosaur fossils.
The Path is split into the North Dinosaur Path and the South Dinosaur Path and we’ll break this journey information into totally different elements to deal with every. However when visiting Drumheller it is best to make sure that to see all of it.
South Dinosaur Path
1. Hoodoos of Drumheller
The Hoodoos are the star attraction of Drumheller. They’re a cluster of skinny rock spires with a dense rock cap sitting on prime. The cap protects the spires from fully eroding away. They’re smaller than you’d count on as slightly cluster on the aspect of a hill, however they’re superior. The hoodoos are situated simply off the aspect of the highway a brief stroll from the parking zone, however they’re fascinating.
If you’re up for slightly gentle climbing, you’ll be able to climb to the highest of the hill to miss the hoodoos.
Product of sandstone, they shaped over a whole lot of years of abrasion. These fairytale chimneys are very delicate and two to 4 ft each 100 years. Many individuals solely keep on the hoodoos for a couple of minutes taking within the tiny cluster of pillars sitting on the aspect of the highway. However take your time to see them from all angles and ensure to hike as much as the excessive lookout. Examine our expertise right here.
2. Atlas Coal Mine Nationwide Historic Web site
The Atlas Coal Mine Nationwide Historic Web site is what this space was constructed round on the flip of the twentieth century. Working from 1936 to 1970 the Atlas Coal Mine produced coal to energy steam engines for CN and CP rail heading to the prairies. It’s thought of Canada’s best-preserved full coal mine and guests can tour the mine and might climb the final wood tipple in Canada.
You are able to do a self-guided tour of the grounds, however to entry the underground and tipple you’ll need to take a guided tour. You will note And that’s the place all of the cool stuff is! The Tipple was used to move coal to the practice automobiles and also you’ll be taking a visit by means of the underground tunnels.
- Admission is Adults: $14.00 Youth/Senior: $11.00 (Self-guided)
- The place to Keep in Drumheller: If you’re searching for lodging in Drumheller, we advocate Heartwood Inn and Spa. There’s a assessment on the backside of this submit.
3. East Coulee Faculty Museum
If you wish to pop right into a museum to study a bit extra about life within the coal mining days. The East Coulee Faculty Museum is a ghost city set in an previous schoolhouse that focuses on life at residence for the households of the miners from 1930 – 1971.
It serves as each a commemorative institution and an academic heart, aiming to protect and depict the historical past and heritage of the East Coulee space and its folks, notably specializing in the lifetime of coal miners and their households. In case you cease in for a go to you will note the historic faculty constructing and expertise what it was like within the classroom and there’s a coal mining exhibit, artifacts, and pictures.
4. Final Probability Saloon
It could be the primary cease in your drive south from Drumheller, however we advise stopping right here in your manner again, it’s an incredible place for lunch or dinner. The Final Probability Saloon is likely one of the coolest locations to eat in Alberta! To get there, you have to detour off Freeway 10 to Freeway 10x and drive west.
After crossing 11 bridges zigzagging over the Crimson Deer River, you arrive on the Final Probability Saloon. This was a wild west sort of saloon the place coal miners spent their paycheck on the weekends and plenty of a brawl broke out. They’ve made positive to depart bullet holes on the partitions to indicate the rowdy heritage. You’ll positively wish to stroll by means of and peruse the pictures and memorabilia. It’s a dwelling museum!
The Final Probability Saloon, is situated within the ghost city of Wayne situated 14km southeast of Drumheller. This was the center of the mining trade the place as soon as 3000 folks lived within the city, and 10,000 lived within the surrounding communities.
The 11 one-lane bridges are definitely worth the drive alone, they’re within the Guinness Ebook of World Information as essentially the most bridges situated within the shortest distance. (Guinness will measure something!) The one construction left standing as we speak is the Rosedeer Resort which is related to the Final Probability Saloon. Examine our full highway journey at The Cowboy Path – A Southern Alberta Street Journey
6. Star Mine Suspension Bridge
Word: The Rosedale Suspension bridge is completely closed however we thought we’d depart in slightly bit concerning the historical past.
Constructed in 1931 the Star Mine Suspension Bridge, (aka Rossdale Suspension Bridge) is a bridge spanning the Crimson Deer River which you could stroll throughout. This 117-meter-long suspension bridge was created to present coal miners from the Rosedale neighborhood entry to the Atlas Coal Mine. Earlier than that, they rowed throughout the river.
7. North Dinosaur Path Drumheller
The North Path takes you on a loop north of Drumheller alongside Hwy 837 and 838. There’s a lot to see on this 48 km loop. Heading out of Drumheller the path will lead you alongside the north aspect of the Crimson Deer River. This route gives stunning views of the badlands, the Little Church, and the Bleriot Ferry crossing.
Ensure to take your time to go for hikes and benefit from the viewpoints. The entire attraction of this a part of Alberta is experiencing the awe-inspiring surroundings.
One other nice Alberta Street journey is the Icefields Parkway. Test it out right here.
8. World’s Largest Dinosaur
Canadians love roadside points of interest, and it’s becoming that the dinosaur capital of the world shows the world’s largest Dinosaur. The construction is a mannequin Tyrannosaurus rex that stands roughly 86 ft (26 meters) tall and 151 ft (46 meters) lengthy, making it almost 4 instances bigger than an actual T. rex would have been.
Throughout the Avenue is Rotary Spray Park which is a well-liked vacation spot for households, particularly in the course of the hotter months. The park gives quite a lot of actions and services to maintain guests of all ages entertained. The park options a big spray pad with numerous water options, fountains, and spray nozzles that youngsters can run by means of and play in. It’s an effective way to chill off on a sizzling day.
10. Hoodoo Path
The hoodoos of Drumheller are your entire motive we wished to go to Drumheller in Alberta. So beginning on the Hoodoo Path is our primary factor to do. From Drumheller, begin driving south alongside Freeway 56 to freeway 10 following the Crimson Deer River. A lot of the route is situated in Midland Provincial Park which gives loads of pull-offs and picnic stops. The Hoodoo Path is an out-and-back route totaling solely 50km. (23.5 km every manner) Learn extra: The Hoodoos of Drumheller
We propose going on to the Hoodoos within the morning earlier than they get too busy after which take your time exploring the remainder of the path. Learn extra of our southern Alberta Street Journey right here.
11. Royal Tyrrell Museum
We aren’t ones to gush over museums, however the Royal Tyrrell Museum is superb! 75 million years in the past, dinosaurs roamed this land they usually left their mark throughout Drumheller. The Royal Tyrell Museum is the most effective dinosaur museum on the planet displaying the finds which were found all through Drumheller and the Badlands. Not like most museums all over the world the place dinosaur skeletons are pretend, the Royal Tyrell sows actual dinosaur bones.
Plus, The Royal Tyrell Museum has the best-preserved genuine T-Rex skulls on the planet and there are precise Paleontologists engaged on bones. You possibly can method them to speak to them, and there are others working behind glass displaying you what’s concerned in excavations.
12. Badlands Interpretive Path
If you are on the Royal Tyrrell Museum, take a stroll alongside the Badlands Interpretive Path situated in Midland Provincial Park.
When you arrive on the park, you’ll be able to observe the indicators to find the place to begin of the Badlands Interpretive Path. The path gives a possibility to study concerning the geology, paleontology, and ecology of the Canadian Badlands.
13. Horsethief Canyon
The primary viewpoint you will note alongside this drive is Horsethief Canyon. It’s the traditional Alberta Badlands website and what a sight to behold! Horsethief Canyon obtained its title from cowboy outlaws hiding stolen horses within the 1800s. When wanting on the canyon under, you’ll be able to see the way it made for an incredible hiding place!
You possibly can truly see the layers of time etched within the canyon partitions. There are platforms to soak up the scenic views and you’ll go climbing. I extremely advocate climbing by means of the badlands. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime alternative. Simply be sure you deliver loads of water, it will get sizzling!
14. Little Church
As we stated above, Canadians love a highway aspect attraction and the Little Church of Drumheller is certainly that! Inbuilt 1968 as a spot for meditation and worship. It’s also a vacationer attraction in Drumheller attracting 10,000 folks six at a time. It seats six folks and nonetheless operates as a marriage chapel and holding providers. How cool wouldn’t it be to get married right here?
15. Bleriot Ferry
Cross the Crimson Deer River by utilizing the Bleriot Ferry. It’s free and it’s at all times cool to take a ferry. Working day by day from 8 am to 11 pm from Could by means of September, this little ferry crossing has been in operation since 1913. It’s the oldest cable ferry in North America! And the ferry is free!
16. Orkney Viewpoint
When you cross the river, you are actually on the way in which again alongside the Dinosaur Path and the Orkney Viewpoint gives stunning views of the Crimson Deer River Valley. Situated on excessive purple rock cliffs, it’s the quintessential Alberta view.
17. Horseshoe Canyon
When driving from Calgary this would be the first cease you see in your option to Drumheller. Or if you’re us, the final cease you see in your manner out. However it will possibly completely be carried out on the Dinosaur Path. Horseshoe Canyon has a 3.9 kilometer loop path for higher views of its coulees and hoodoos and the abundance of wildflowers that develop within the canyons. Have in mind, it will possibly get very popular within the Alberta Badlands, so at all times carry water.
18. Dinosaur Provincial Park
After spending a few days in Drumheller exploring the Dinosaur Path and the Hoodoo Path, make your option to Dinosaur Provincial Park to essentially dig into the dinosaur tradition.
19. Centrosaurus Quarry Hike
Situated within the coronary heart of the Alberta Badlands, this UNESCO World Heritage Web site is residence to the richest assortment of dinosaur fossils on earth. You possibly can take a tour out to The Centrosaurus Quarry to see precise dinosaur fossils. As soon as you recognize what you might be searching for (which you find out about on this guided hike) they’re in every single place. A lot of the park is off-limits as it’s nonetheless a working excavation website, however there are a couple of tour alternatives.
We actually loved our hike, however we additionally took a sundown tour by bus taking us out to all of the superb lookouts searching for its wealthy deposits of dinosaur bones. Dinosaur Provincial Park deserves a few days to discover. Learn all about it right here.
When to Go to Drumheller
When visiting the Drumheller space there are some things to take into accounts. Now we have damaged down the most effective time to go to.
- Late Spring (Could to June):
- The climate begins to heat up, and the panorama comes alive with blooming wildflowers.
- Out of doors points of interest and trails are open for exploration.
- There is perhaps fewer crowds in comparison with the height summer time months.
- Summer time (July to August):
- That is the height vacationer season in Drumheller, with heat temperatures and lengthy days.
- Most occasions, festivals, and outside actions are scheduled throughout these months.
- In style points of interest just like the Royal Tyrrell Museum and the World’s Largest Dinosaur will be busy, so plan accordingly.
- Early Fall (September):
- The climate stays nice, however the crowds begin to diminish.
- The panorama options stunning fall colours, and outside actions are nonetheless pleasurable.
Issues to Take into account:
- Climate: The climate in Drumheller will be fairly variable, so it’s sensible to test the forecast and are available ready with layers, solar safety, and applicable footwear.
- Crowds: In case you choose a quieter expertise, think about visiting in the course of the shoulder seasons (late spring or early fall) to keep away from peak crowds.
- Sights Availability: Whereas summer time gives essentially the most accessibility to points of interest, some websites and actions stay open within the low season, providing a unique expertise.
- Occasions: Verify the native occasion calendar for festivals, exhibitions, or different happenings throughout your go to.
No matter while you go to, Drumheller gives a singular and enriching expertise with its fascinating dinosaur heritage, putting badlands panorama, and quite a lot of indoor and outside actions.
Drumheller Itinerary in Two Days
That will help you plan a visit to Drumheller, we put collectively a straightforward downtown Drumheller Itinerary in two days. Take pleasure in!
Day 1: Exploring Prehistoric Wonders
Morning: Royal Tyrrell Museum
- Time: 9:00 AM – 12:30 PM
- Exercise: Start your Drumheller journey on the Royal Tyrrell Museum. Discover the fascinating reveals showcasing Canada’s prehistoric previous, that includes one of many world’s largest shows of dinosaurs.
- Ideas: Arrive early to keep away from crowds. Don’t neglect to take a look at the museum’s rotating particular reveals!
Lunch: Bernie and the Boys Bistro
- Time: 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
- Exercise: Take pleasure in a hearty meal at this native favourite, identified for its mammoth-sized burgers and milkshakes.
- Location: 305 4 St W, Drumheller, AB T0J 0X0, Canada
Afternoon: Drumheller’s Big Dinosaur & Fossil World
- Time: 2:30 PM – 4:30 PM
- Exercise: Climb contained in the World’s Largest Dinosaur and benefit from the panoramic views of Drumheller. Afterward, head to Fossil World Dinosaur Discovery Middle for interactive reveals and fossil digging actions.
- Ideas: The climb contained in the Big Dinosaur entails stairs, so put on comfy footwear!
Dinner: Elegant Meals and Wine
- Time: 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Exercise: Take pleasure in a fantastic eating expertise at Elegant Meals and Wine, having fun with locally-sourced dishes in a comfortable ambiance.
- Location: 109 Centre St, Drumheller, AB T0J 0Y0, Canada
Night: Drumheller Valley Lookout
- Time: 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM
- Exercise: Finish your day by watching the sundown over the beautiful landscapes of the Drumheller Valley from one of many scenic lookouts.
- Ideas: Convey a light-weight jacket, as it will possibly get chilly within the night.
Day 2: Journey & Scenic Magnificence
Morning: Horsethief Canyon & Bleriot Ferry
- Time: 9:00 AM – 11:30 AM
- Exercise: Begin with the picturesque Horsethief Canyon, adopted by a experience on the historic Bleriot Ferry throughout the Crimson Deer River.
- Ideas: Put on sturdy footwear for climbing and convey your digicam for some stunning panorama pictures!
Lunch: WHIFS Flapjack Home
- Time: 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
- Exercise: Savor some scrumptious pancakes and different hearty breakfast fare at this native gem.
- Location: 680 2 St E, Drumheller, AB T0J 0Y0, Canada
Afternoon: Horseshoe Canyon & ATV Journey
- Time: 1:30 PM – 5:00 PM
- Exercise: Discover the breathtaking landscapes of Horseshoe Canyon. Take into account reserving an ATV tour for an exhilarating experience by means of the canyons.
- Ideas: Costume appropriately for outside actions and convey water to remain hydrated.
Dinner: Yavis Household Restaurant
- Time: 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Exercise: Conclude your adventure-filled day with a soothing meal at Yavis Household Restaurant, a neighborhood institution providing a various menu.
- Location: 1102 AB-9, Drumheller, AB T0J 0Y3, Canada
Night: Ghost Stroll Tour
- Time: 8:30 PM – 10:00 PM
- Exercise: If obtainable, be part of a neighborhood ghost stroll tour to discover the eerie and mysterious aspect of Drumheller, studying about native legends and folklore.
- Ideas: Put on comfy strolling footwear and convey a flashlight.
This two-day itinerary gives a mixture of journey, historical past, and pure magnificence, showcasing the distinctive attraction of Drumheller, Alberta. Ensure to test the supply of actions and opening hours of venues upfront, as they’ll differ relying on the time of yr. Protected travels!
The place to Keep in Drumheller
Heartwood Inn and Spa is a well-liked selection in Drumheller. We stayed right here and liked it! Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson stayed right here in the course of the filming of Shanghai Midday. If it’s adequate for them it’s adequate for Dave and Deb! It’s an incredible inn with elegant rooms and pleasant house owners. It’s the kind of place that takes an curiosity in what you see and do and provides wonderful recommendation.
We particularly loved their well-known French Toast within the morning. It’s the one factor they serve for breakfast. Because the proprietor stated to us “I do one factor and one factor very nicely.” Yum!
Different Locations to Keep in Drumheller
Cactus Coulee Enjoyable Park & RV Resort is a good place to remain in Drumheller with children. Even if you’re not staying at Cactus Coulee Enjoyable Park & RV Resort, you’ll be able to go to for the day and benefit from the points of interest like go-karting, mini golf and EuroBungy
Horseshoe Canyon Campground is one other great spot to stick with tenting, cabins, and RV hook-up.
Dinosaur Provincial Park has tenting as nicely. Learn: Dinosaur Provincial Park – Glamping Tour within the Alberta Badlands
And these are the highest points of interest close to Drumheller. Have you ever been to the Alberta Badlands? The place is your favourite place to go to in Alberta?