Planning a visit to Chicago on a funds? Chicago will be costly however thankfully lots of the finest issues to do and see in Chicago are completely free! We have now put collectively a listing of 60+ free issues to do in Chicago.
Free Issues to Do in Chicago (2024)
Free Chicago Points of interest
- The Chicago Riverwalk has steps, benches and different spots the place you possibly can sit free of charge and calm down whereas watching the boats, kayaks and different exercise on the Chicago River.
- Watch a free 30-minute program of digital artwork projections at Artwork on theMART, throughout the two.5-acre river-façade of theMART, twice nightly.
- Chicago Cultural Middle presents many free cultural displays and performances yearly in addition to free guided constructing excursions of the attractive landmark constructing.
- Cloud Gate (nicknamed The Bean), the well-known mirrored sculpture in Millennium Park, is considered one of Chicago’s prime vacationer points of interest.
- Quiet down and splash within the water spouting from the mouths of faces projected on LED screens at Crown Fountain in Millennium Park.
- Benefit from the lovely skyline views and flowers at Lurie Backyard, a 2.5-acre backyard situated on the southern finish of Millennium Park.
- If you’re touring to Chicago with toddlers, try Maggie Daley Park, a big public park with a number of totally different play areas for youths, which is related to Millennium Park by the BP Pedestrian Bridge.
- Whereas there may be an admission cost for the rides and Centennial Wheel at Navy Pier (click on right here to buy a quick cross ticket and skip the lengthy line), it’s free to go to and benefit from the free public packages and occasions 12 months spherical.
- Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park is considered one of largest fountains on the earth and is illuminated within the night.
- Garfield Park Conservatory is a big and delightful botanical conservatory with free admission (though donations are requested).
- Stroll, bike, run or simply hang around alongside the Lakefront Path, a 18-mile-long stretch alongside Lake Michigan.
- Take pleasure in considered one of Chicago’s many public seashores alongside Lake Michigan.
- Have a picnic or benefit from the views from Lincoln Park, a big public park near the Lakefront and well-liked North Avenue seashore.
- Lincoln Park Zoo presents free admission.
- Lincoln Park Conservatory is one other free conservatory.
- The Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool is a 3.14-acre pure space in Lincoln Park with a mixture of perennials, bulbs, grasses, shrubs and bushes and presents nice skyline views.
- Backyard of the Phoenix is a peaceable Japanese backyard in Jackson Park.
- Stroll or bike The 606, an elevated path that goes via Chicago’s northwest facet neighborhoods.
- Search for road artwork all through town, together with the Wabash Arts Hall within the Loop.
Free Chicago Museums
These museums all the time supply free entry:
- Mindworks: The Science of Considering.
- Nationwide Museum of Mexican Artwork.
- Museum of Up to date Images.
- Nationwide Museum of Puerto Rican Arts and Tradition (NMPRAC).
- DePaul College Artwork Museum.
- Sensible Museum of Artwork on the College of Chicago.
- Design Museum of Chicago.
- Oriental Institute Museum (however donations are requested).
- Nationwide Veterans Artwork Museum (however donations are prompt).
- Chicago Fed’s Cash Museum.
- Hyde Park Artwork Middle.
- Clarke Home Museum.
Free Chicago Museum Days
The museums under will not be often free however recurrently supply free admission on choose dates or are free for kids, teenagers or different choose teams:
- Artwork Institute of Chicago all the time presents free admission for all youngsters underneath 14, Chicago teenagers underneath 18, active-duty service members and Illinois educators. Admission can also be free for Illinois residents on weekdays (Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays) from January 8–March 22, 2024.
- Subject Museum presents free admission each Wednesday in 2024 for Illinois residents.
- Museum of Science and Trade (MSI) presents Illinois residents free entry on choose dates all year long.
- Adler Planetarium presents free entry for Illinois residents each Wednesday night with proof of residency.
- Shedd Aquarium has free admission days for Illinois residents on sure dates.
- The Chicago Kids’s Museum at Navy Pier has free admission for veterans and lively navy.
- Chicago Historical past Museum is free for all youngsters 12 and underneath and Illinois residents 18 & underneath 12 months spherical. In addition they supply choose free days for all Illinois residents.
- American Writers Museum in Chicago is free for kids ages 12 & youthful.
- Driehaus Museum is free for kids 12 & underneath and lively navy (with ID).
- Museum of Up to date Artwork Chicago (MCA) is free on a regular basis for anybody 18 and underneath, guests with disabilities and their caregivers, Illinois elementary and highschool lecturers and lively members of the navy and veterans, police, and hearth departments with ID. All Illinois residents obtain free admission on Tuesdays.
- The DuSable Black Historical past Museum and Training Middle is free for Illinois residents on Wednesdays. In addition they give free admission to navy and to first responders with legitimate ID.
- The Swedish American Museum has free admission on the second Tuesday of each month.
- The Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum presents free admission for Illinois lecturers, veterans and retired service members with ID and active-duty service members with ID and their households. Click on right here for added particulars. Illinois residents have free admission each Thursday (however there’s a prompt family donation).
- Chicago Public Library cardholders 18 and older, can reserve free basic admission passes to some Chicago museums via Discover Extra Illinois.
- Artwork Institute of Chicago, Adler Planetarium, Chicago Historical past Museum and Museum of Up to date Artwork supply free admission the primary weekend of each month for Financial institution of America credit score or debit cardholders underneath the Financial institution of America Museums on Us program.
Free Chicago Actions
- Take a free customized tour with a volunteer Chicago Greeter, that are personalized primarily based in your pursuits.
- Navy Pier has free fireworks each Wednesday and Saturday evening between Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend.
- Take pleasure in free live shows on Tuesdays on the terrace on the Museum of Up to date Artwork in the summertime.
- Hearken to free music outdoor on the Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park through the Grant Park Music Pageant in the summertime.
- Ice skate on the McCormick Tribune Ice Rink which is true in entrance of The Bean.
Free Chicago Occasions and Festivals
Chicago has many free occasions and festivals that happen yearly, together with the next.
- See the river dyed inexperienced on Saturday earlier than St. Patrick’s Day.
- Have enjoyable at Sundays on State (varied dates in the summertime).
- Chicago Gospel Music Pageant (June 1, 2024).
- Chicago Blues Pageant (June 6-9, 2024).
- Chicago Air and Water Present (August 10-11, 2024).
- Chicago Jazz Pageant (August 29–September 1, 2024).
- World Music Pageant Chicago (September 20–29, 2024).
- Style of Chicago (September 6-8, 2024) is a free-admission meals pageant.
- Open Home Chicago (October 19-20, 2024), hosted by the Chicago Structure Middle within the fall, presents behind-the-scenes entry to architecturally, traditionally and culturally vital websites throughout town.
What’s your favourite free factor to do in Chicago?